How you value punctuality says a lot about you as a person. One would be that you respect the other person and his valuable time. I appreciate you making time for me, therefor the least I could do is to show up on time when I meet you. You entrusted me a task and set a deadline, therefor since you believe in my capability to finish my work on the deadline you set and we have agreed on, I have to make sure I meet that deadline. I guess it is really that simple.
My parents would always complain about my tardiness. I would be late for school because I would sleep late. I would cram for exams, study at the last minute, try to finish school projects at the last minute. I admit that I would be late for work also at times, how embarrassing for someone who would always tell her trainees on their first day in Learning Lab:
"Early is on time and on time is late."
My brother in law, who was my trainee before in the call center specifically remembered his first day with me as his trainer: I was rushing to get to class, with my shoes inside a plastic bag that I carried, apologizing for being late. Funny, not! My sister further said: Ate, I got my first memo from Training because of you. We went to work together that night (or day?) and you were again late... How humiliating! Consuelo de bobo: it's okay, you're kind naman and a very good trainer. Blah! I have always been a firm believer of attitude over performance, and being tardy is not a good sign.
As they say, past is past. For the most part, I was early or on time for work. I probably got really motivated by the fact that I would constantly tell my trainees how important attendance is to me, I made sure I walk the talk. I am not perfect, but I try.
To be honest, I have really learned the value of punctuality here in the US. It's not that I didn't know it before, I was just given tough lessons here, iba talaga ang American way. From Filipino time, I slowly adapted the American time.
I commute here, I do not drive. Unlike the Philippines, every hour there's a bus waiting for you at the terminal going to Makati. In California, buses only stop and take passengers at certain stops, some of these would be like a block or so away from where you're coming from. The frequency would vary but one thing's for sure, they follow a strict schedule and they will not wait for you! No, they do not make sure that the bus is full before they leave the bus stop, you are only given a few minutes per stop. If the bus stop is right across the street and you're still on the other side, they will not wait for you to cross and get in, you have to wait for the next bus. And for some, that would be another good 15 minutes if you're lucky. Feeling luckier? NOT! Some would even be a good 30 to 45 minutes, worst, an hour or so.
Oh and also, most of the time, you have to take several buses going to your destination so imagine domino effect: you miss one, you miss all of them! There were times when I was supposed to be home at 6:00PM but because I missed the bus due to overtime, I got home 8:00PM.
I have experienced running as fast as I could to the bus stop because I could already see the bus nearby. I never wore heels for work, it's a good thing we were never asked to dress up in business attire. My chucks were my bestfriend. I even had to chase a moving bus, tap it as hard as I could and wished that the bus driver would take pity on me and let me in. For the most part though, they would not give a fack (yes I had to change the spelling...). Damn you, mamang driver! It was in times like those when I miss the boundary crazy bus drivers of Manila, even the ever convenient cabs. Taking a cab here in the US would cost you an arm and a leg, freakin' expensive.
I was a commuter for the past 2 years of my life. I am lucky though because there would also be moments when I would carpool with friends and family but I know I cannot always ask someone to drive for me, so I took the bus to the mall, to go to another friend's house or just sleepover or something. Now I understand how important it is to be punctual, the world will not wait on or for you. Everything will keep moving forward, and they won't care if you're left behind. Sad but true. :)
So how is the new Apple coping? I have now learned to keep a schedule and stick to it. I know for some it may sound boring, planning your life, working with a schedule. They say live for today, why do you have to plan ahead too much? Of course I am not planning too much! Don't get the impression that I plan every single detail of my life. I just make sure that for every appointment I have, I take note of it, set reminders. That's all, Outlook is now my bestfriend. :) I just don't want to agree to go out on this day only to find out that I already made previous plans and flake on the one of them at the last minute, so unprofessional. (ehem ehem)
Especially now that I am about to embark on a new journey, a new chapter which would involve seeking employment. Oh by the way, I was NEVER late for an interview! Ahahahaha! If I know I cannot make it on that date, I tell them ahead of time. I still believe that first impression lasts! Hee hee! So in my life, I learned that:
It is okay to keep a schedule but do not plan ahead too much. As they say, too much of something is bad, as much as having too less. Agree? In this case though, it's better to give a bit more allowance when it comes to time, it's better for one to be early than be the cause of delay. Naks!
Oh and Apple, walk the talk! Ahahahaha! I am still a work in progress, please bear with me. :)

O diba? Time is GOLD, literal ito.
No comments:
Post a Comment