Back then, I would only get to read about this place in magazines, watched the Mardi Gras in The Girls Next Door. I finally got to visit New Orleans, it is indeed a dream come true for me.
New Orleans is more than 2 hours away from our home by car. I am starting to discover how geographically desirable Mobile, Alabama is for me. I love the south and I am happy to be given the opportunity to travel around and explore neighboring cities and states! 4 states in a week is definitely an adventure!
I have always been attracted to old southern style structures and lush landscapes and the south definitely doesn't fail to impress me. It is just amazing how much history one city has and you definitely feel it in the streets, parks and buildings that surround you, I would say that I fell in love with New Orleans. I can just imagine how much better it looked like before hurricane Katrina.
We still saw Katrina's aftermath on our way to our hotel. Even though most of the structures are already repaired, some of them newly built, you can still see hurricane torn, abandoned homes, it was kind of depressing seeing these but all these went away once we went around the French Quarters.
It also rained on our way to our hotel. I was praying really hard that the rain would stop and good thing it did before we checked in.
We booked the hotel online days before this trip. It was quaint hotel in the French Quarters situated along Rue Decatur and a few steps away from Canal St. It's also a block away from The House of Blues where David Cook performed a few nights ago, too bad we didn't get to watch it, oh well! It's also 2 blocks away from Bourbon St. where all the parties are! Friday night stroll along Bourbon St. really had a lot to offer!
The hotel was cheap considering the location but expensive when it comes to their facilities. Our original room was right beside/behind the elevator so every time the elevator's in use, the noise just drives us crazy! So we asked to be transferred and we did, this time on the topmost floor, facing the street. Not bad, although the window and the carpet near the window were wet but this room definitely looked better than the first one. Would I come back to this hotel though? Yes I will, it's still bang for my buck. I just need a place to sleep after walking around New Orleans.
After we checked in, we decided to walk around and started along Canal St. when we came across a streetcar stop (bus stop). The Canal Streetcar line looks a lot like the barts of San Fo. For a dollar and twenty five cents one way, we decided to tour the town. Amazing! This should definitely be on your to do list when you go visit! Love the sights! Next time we should get the day pass for 5 bucks, that's unlimited streetcar ride, we can get off any stop we want. :)
After the ride around town and dinner, we decided to go back to our hotel room to freshen up, it's time to explore the night scene. We were definitely in for a surprise! Never thought breast baring can still happen even after Mardi Gras! Ahahahahaha! Soooo funny! Check out the pics along Bourbon St., including the boob baring stunt pulled by some girl throwing bead necklaces from one of the balconies.
More pics on http://appledelacruz.multiply.com
We decided to call it a night, no alcohol for us that night!
And what better way to finish off our road trip? SHOPPING!
Happy tourists? Ahahahaha! Got their retail therapy fix, TAX FREE! ;)
What a week! Too bad Lalee's going back to San Fo and to reality, we're off to Gulfport International Airport in a bit. Laloy's staying for another week, what to do, what to do???
Oh and before I forget, let me share with you one of the highlights of this trip for me:
I can think of a lot of things to remind me of Cali and one of them would be our late night drive thrus at Jack in the Box. Imagine my delight when I saw that big red cube with white letters saying Jack in the Box along the I-10 freeway, we just had to have lunch there!!!!
Sourdough Jack, curly fries and 99 cent tacos??? HEAVEN!
Wow, Jack in the Box is more than 3 hours away from our place... Bummer...
No comments:
Post a Comment