Monday, March 1, 2010

Unique Wedding Traditions: Edwin and Chel 02.28.2010

I have been to a number of weddings so wedding traditions are not something new to me. Of course, there's the cake cutting, the wine toasting, the first dance, father-daughter dance and so on and so forth. Then there are the uniquely Filipino traditions, depending on the province of course.

There was one wedding we organized that had some Batangas traditions like the bride made sure she stepped on the groom's feet to show who's boss in the marriage. Then upon arriving at the reception venue, they were welcomed with sticky rice cake that they had to feed each other followed by a drink of water with their arms entwined, this one is done to ensure that they stick together forever (remember, sticky rice cake? LOL!).

Then there are some that involves money which should symbolize prosperity in the couple's married life. Who would not know about the "money dance" where the couple would of course, dance, while the guests pin money bills on them. A more modern twist would be the wishing well which is placed beside the couple during reception and guests are encouraged to drop them a note with money. It is sometimes more practical to just give the newlyweds monetary gifts, especially if they are of course planning to live abroad.

We had a wedding yesterday in Quezon City which was Edwin and Chel's. We went to Oakwood for preps and had our team meeting before seeing the couple. As we were going through the reception program, I came across the part where instead of a couple's first dance accompanied by a love song, I saw the word "KURACHA." Funny as it may sound, it turned out to be a wedding tradition from the couple's hometown in Samar, Leyte. Camille was kind enough to specify what KURACHA is so I really did not have to ask her.

Kuracha, from what was written by Camille is a traditional dance that newlywed couples do on their wedding day where the guest get to throw them money. So I was like, oh, just like the money dance where they pin the money on the couple's clothes but this one, they just probably leave it on the floor? And what was more interesting was, even the principal sponsors or the important guests get to dance too. I thought that sounded so much fun! I was thinking that we might have a hard time making the Principal Sponsors dance, most of their PS are government officials and lawyers, good luck to us! ;)

Oh and before I continue with my reception story, here's a bit on the couple. The bride looks like someone from showbiz, I just can't decide who so tell me what you think! :)

Edwin is a pilot who happens to be Rainier's friend. Rainier is of course, the husband of Camille our head coordinator. His better half is the lovely Chel and they both hail from Samar.

Preps were at Oakwood Ortigas, ceremony at Sta. Rita de Cascia and reception was at Gazebo Royale. Here are some of my favorite snapshots during the preps. Take note: the flower girl, which happens to be the niece of the bride is sooo cute! She is half Filipina and half Korean I believe. :)






Taken from my Blackberry, I forgot to bring a camera! LOL!

Anyway, back to what I was talking about, come the time when we were doing the Kuracha dance, I was surprised when I saw people literally throwing bills up in the air. It felt like that game from Wowowee where you had to enter a booth and they'd turn on the fan and money would be flying around you and you have to make sure you get enough? It was like that! Crazy but so much fun! I felt like I wanted to lie there amongst those paper bills, just like what Demi Moore did in Indecent Proposal! LOL!

They did this while the couple was dancing to the tune of the Kuracha. This was way more fun than the money dance that I know! There were even envelops thrown at the couple from the US, I wonder how much dollars were in there? LOL! From 20 peso bills to 1000 peso bills, it was crazy! We had to make sure all the money were around the couple and had to get those that landed on the tables! Loved it! :)

So when it was the Principal Sponsors' turn to dance, I thought they would no longer throw money since I thought it was only reserved for the couple. I was surprised when I saw some of the Principal Sponsors taking out piles of bills and throwing them in the air! I tried to get as much pictures although they are not really that clear.



The one on top was taken after some of the entourage gathered some of the money and the third one was towards the end of the dance with the Principal Sponsors. It was so much fun! Now that got me thinking, I wouldn't mind doing the Kuracha at my wedding! LOL!

Now if I could only find a husband originally from Samar, better yet, find a boyfriend who I will eventually marry for that matter... LOL!

Congratulations and best wishes Edwin and Chel! Thank you for making us a part of your fab occasion! ;)

PS:

I remember the Mom of the Groom sharing with us that during the groom's sister's wedding in the US, they also had Kuracha in their program. That Kuracha apparently raised 25K dollars for the couple, that was basically 98% of the couple's total expense for the wedding! LIKE HOW AWESOME IS THAT??? LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment